Tiffany Farrant Visualizes the Best of Brain Pickings
By Maria Popova
This year, we asked some of our favorite visualization artists to each capture the 10 most popular Brain Pickings articles of 2010 in a single piece of artwork, and we’re revealing them one by one this month. Last week, we started with the ever-brilliant Stefanie Posavec, followed by a delightfully semi-literal interpretation by Sam Potts.
Today, we’re proud to present the work of UK-based infographic designer and artist Tiffany Farrant, who created a cunning infographic to capture the volume of traffic and social conversations surrounding the top 10 articles.
[Click image to enlarge]
The articles, in order of popularity:
- Mythical Beasts & Modern Monsters — three humorous takes on the relational understanding of the monsters ecosystem.
- Mapping European Stereotypes — a Bulgarian designer based in London pokes fun at Europeans’ xeno-bias and the subjective reality of nationalism.
- 7 Image Search Tools That Will Change Your Life — 7 visually-driven image search interfaces that change how we look for, find and catalog images.
- 7 Must-Read Books by TED Global Speakers — selection of the 7 most compelling books by speakers at this year’s TED Global in Oxford.
- How Do I Explain It To My Parents — Dutch abstract artists sit down with their parents and try to explain to them what they do, to a delightfully amusing effect.
- Vintage Posters for Modern Movies — a look at the faux-vintage design trend as it applies to film poster design, spotlighting the work of seven contemporary designers with a retrostalgic aesthetic.
- How To Be Alone — a poetic manifesto for the art of solitude.
- Strange Worlds: Miniature Condiment Landscapes — remarkable miniature landscapes made out of spices and condiments by artist Matthew Albanese.
- What Does It Mean To Be Human? — three disciplines (evolutionary biology, philosophy and neuroscience) tackle the grand question of existentialism.
- Literary Action Figures — you know you want them.
Published December 20, 2010